Monday, May 26, 2008

Of Romancing Late Night TV

I was combing my hair in front of the vanity mirror this morning wearing a black bra and a tiered-bohemian skirt when Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" entered my head. While I would gladly admit that my hair was perfect in it's unruly, horrifying glory, I wish I could say the same things about my hips. Yup, they're definitely not lying.

It's been quite a while since I see myself completely naked. Afterall, the mirror in the bathroom is at Hubby's height and which unfortunately, only captures my naked self from the chin up. So, the vanity mirror revealed that yes, my hips do not lie and that from the neck down, I was straight. Yes, straight, as in there are no curves. I was not even close to the "softly-rounded" category. I just realise that I have no waist!!..urghh...

I was so depressed, I wore a corset to work. I found it at the back of the cupboard. Very medievel and evil looking. It was a struggle to get it hooked all the way up but I got my waist.

I didn't bet on the hot weather though and by the time I reached the office, my oxygen deprived mental state was screaming "Fuck all those size zero supermodels who existed on air!!"

Lately I've been so into Romantic movies, I would've hated myself 14 years ago. I was channel surfing one night while everyone was blissfully asleep, switching between Channel 16, 17, 18, 19, 11, 12, 10, 8 in that order. I accidentally pressed 5 instead of 8 and hit Arts Central. I normally don't watch because sometimes whatever "Art-ish" drama can be a bit cheem and I'm not one to appreciate art ever since I scored D- for my still life of a brinjal back in Sec 1.

Anyway, Arts Central was showing "Before Sunrise" and I stayed. Hey, nothing interesting is on the other channels, so I thought, Ok, Ethan Hawke is kinda cute. Somehow, I got drawn in. The movie was released in 1995. A romantic love story for Generation X-ers. I was reminded of that time. The promising years where I wallow myself into this pathetic, angst-ridden, self-pity state and at the same time, immersing myself into grunge, doc marts and new found freedom.

I fell in love with Jesse's (Hawke) floppy fringe which reminded me of someone and that hint of a goatee. MmmmmMm deliciouso. Celine (Julie Delpy) was a french girl with fluent spoken English. These two met in a train in Europe, and wind up spending one romantic evening together in Vienna. Unfortunately, both know that this will probably be their only night together and spent the next 14 hours together.

Thirteen years ago, I wouldn't have the patience to sit through this movie. But now, old with age and mellowing down, I got drawn in and yearn for that dizzy, young love.

The following week, I caught "Before Sunset" where the same characters played themselves 9 years later. It was so hopelessly romantic, I cried for the two of them. Anyway, I don't want to write about the summary. I'd rather post the link here and look it up directly. Let wiki do the explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_Sunrise

A few nights ago, I was watching The Taming of the Shrew. Shirley Henderson was so perfect for that role. She was so tiny and him so huge, the effects of the movie kinda sticks to you after a while.

Another tearjerker for me would be The Magic of Ordinary Days. Skeet Ulrich looks every bit the role and Keri Russell was brilliant. I just wish they'd kiss sooner but then again, the simplicity of the whole thing is enough for you to spend time with them. With or without the kissing.

Movies don't have to be sex, drugs and rock & roll all the time to make it worth watching. I just have to make sure no one's around to see the tears fall freely. It's a way to let go and also to tell us that there is hope after all. With all the shit that's happening day in and out today, it's a nice form of escapism.

Here's to Generation-x and yesterday's youth......

No comments: