Monday, October 27, 2008

Syawal - The Last Lap

I still missed my cat. It's been 4 years. We could always get a new one but the thought of feeding, cleaning up and worrying after it made me think twice although hubby was all for it. Or course he's all up for it, he didn't have to do the dirty work. He's got the free maid to do everything. All he has to do is "eh, mop this spot" or "come clear this" or "cat food almost finish, buy one on the way home" without so much as a dutiful "Please".

As if the thought of that does not pisses me off, he did something again that made me really mad and scared at the same time. Well, firstly, let me just say that I did something over the weekend that I've never done before and syukur alhamdulillah, we made it in one piece.

The first time when he suggested it, I had this strange feeling of being slapped awake and having stomach indigestion at the same time. I was taken aback by the first bout of challenge thrown directly at me. The indigestion however was the result of having coke with M&Ms for lunch.

I protested to the suggestion so violently that for the first time, the husband actually shut up and wisely did not bring the subject up until the day before our great outing.

You see, hubby and friends decided to meet and visit each other on the last lap of Syawal. They met up with more classmates they had unearthed from Facebook and decided to visit a few more classmates some of whom they have not seen for the past 14 years. We were to go gallivanting across the island again, and this time, it will be much more fun and exciting because there are no in-laws involved.

So the day before the outing, after frenzied rounds of phone calls and SMSs, hubby tentatively suggested (again) that I drove our car while he drove his company's car. There will be a total of 4 cars and I'll be the only wife driving. The thought of it made me sick - literally.

Truth was, I've never had the courage to drive with hubby around. I've driven to work, to workshops and to the supermarket without his supervision. Somehow my parking skills are always flawless to the point of being faultless without his "Left!!..Left!! left no turn some more, no no no too much..right, right.....right lah...turn again!! turn again, lock the wheel!!!!..Where's your right??..Haiyah you ni eh....right also donno!!...

You get the picture. I hate that. I absolutely loathe that. He could kill any good mood and spoil a whole bloody outing just by barking his 'holier than thou' orders at my reverse parking. So I swore to him that I will never drive the car with him around. I forgot the part about him driving within 100 metres from me though and here I am stuck with this decision of driving to Bt Batok, Teck Whye, Punggol, Bedok, Woodlands and then back to Jurong.

Despite all the hooha, I somehow managed to bring everybody to their destinations. It's just a matter of tailgating his car or any of the 3 cars belonging to our convoy. The nervousness disappeared and my parking was once again perfect with almost nil adjustments. I achieved this by parking as far away from my hubby as possible.

The directions? Of course, what with concentrating on the number plates of our convoy and looking out for traffic while trying to switch lanes without getting a heart attack, I did not know where we went and which exit we took. So if you were to ask me again, sorry, i can't remember. Yes, I'm that lousy at directions.

By 6pm, we were already at my place, hubby had to return the company car and I was relegated to passenger position, much to the relieve of Matin who spend his time on my lap enjoying the mother-son moment.

We reached the last house at about 10pm. The husbands watched the second half of a Chelsea-Liverpool match and the wives were forced to watch while battling 'sleeping' mode. The kids were either sleeping or sulking from petty quarrels and becoming best friends in less than 5 minutes.

We reached home around midnight and as usual, yours truly was the last one to hit the bed. For the third night, the kids were sleeping in their own room and I am slowly getting used to them not sleeping on the floor beside my bed. Of course I missed their presence but hey, they're still in the house. One day, they'll went off to school camps and National Service, then what? By then, maybe I'll seriously consider having a cat around the house.

No comments: