Thursday, October 2, 2008

Syawal 1429H

I was on the way to the office this morning and stopped by the cafeteria to buy something. So while I was on the que, the cashier asked "Eh, how's your new year?"

Time and time again, I have to explain that Hari Raya Aidilfitri is NOT a new year for Muslims. It's so hard to explain when they insists that it is. Which is the case of Annie just now. She was like "Come on, it is your new year" with all the patience of saintly matron in a nursing home talking to a senile old bat who had just asked for the upteenth time what her name was.

The other day, at Old Chang Kee after buying fish cakes for Matin, the cashiers there go "happy new year!!". I explained politely that it is not a new year and that we're actually celebrating the end of Ramadhan. It is a new month no doubt but it's definitely not a new year.

Just because the majority in Singapore is Chinese and that there is a two day public holiday during Chinese New Year, that does not automatically states that Hari Raya is a new year for Muslims.

However, Annie asked something that totally stumped me. "So, when is your new year?".

I blinked once, twice them mumbled, "Our new year is not a public holiday" before grabbing my red bean pau and making a quick getaway.

I hurried up to the office and grabbed a calender that has all the months of the islamic calender year on it. A quick flip and there, 29 December 2008. I deserved to be kicked all the way to Timbaktu.

I was so ashamed to admit that I have no idea when Muharram falls on the gregorian calender. Although I know all the months in the islamic calender, I failed to observe the equivalence sometimes. The gregorian calender ruled our lives. We referred to them every other day and we always fail to know the important dates and events that falls in the islamic calender. We only know the holy month of Ramadhan, because that's our fasting month and as kids, look forward to Syawal, the Hari Raya month.

We're into the third day of Syawal. The next person who tells me "Happy New Year" will get this;- "It's not a new year but a new month to celebrate the end of Ramadhan. Our new year falls on 29 December this year and it won't be a public holiday"

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri - minal 'aidil wal fa idzhin

No comments: